Friday, September 11, 2009

Mountains

Mountains are so peaceful. I told you in my last post that a few of my siblings, my grandpa and I went hiking on Labor Day.

Horse Pasture Mountain is situated in the Cascade Mountain range. If you climb to the top you can look at Mt. Washington, the Three Sisters, and various other snow covered peaks. Meadow flowers and grasses cover a good part of it, and the top is bare except for some low-lying vegetation and a few craggy rocks.


I don't know what I like better: being up high or down low. I've never had any outdoor experience more amazing than the Alvord Desert in the eastern part of Oregon- but I have to admit climbing up to the top of something is pretty exhilarating.
Almost to the top!

I really wish I could have a piano transported up here. I couldn't think of a more fitting place to play Bach or Chopin. Or I could just sing "Climb Every Mountain" from The Sound Of Music. That would be pretty amazing, too.


If you look over the edge of these rocks, you notice how everything- just disappears. It's a drop-off, all right. Makes you feel slightly giddy. But then you get distracted by the awesome view:
Some of us have plans to climb this mountain next year.

I think one of the best things about being at the top of the peak is knowing that you did nothing to create the gorgeous scenery around you. (Neither did an evolutionary process.)
I'm definitely a city girl. I love concrete, noise, movement and all that stuff. Forests and mountains do not have iPods, laptops, skyscrapers, books, art museums, etc. (Which are all very good.) Instead rugged terrain reminds us of the God who created it all. The land is powerful and harsh, yet delicately beautiful.

Not that there aren't signs of humanity:
There are very few places where I will drink lukewarm blue Gatorade. Not on plane, not on a train....But maybe after a long hike.


It was a good ending to a summer. In the days afterward, we occupied ourselves with getting read for school. (Classes start next week!)

There are still things I need to accomplish, such as finishing a summer reading assignment. But I wanted to take the time to share these with you because I was so pleased with how they turned out.

Blessings,

Natalie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this post..Thanks for sharing it!

Mother dear