Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sunday Thoughts Part III- Street Photography


You know those children's books with all the detailed drawings of cities and towns? They've always fascinated me. Whenever I sketched or painted, I was never very interested in creating large portraits or scenes. I'd pencil out minuscule buildings and hand draw every single brick. (If I was feeling lazy I'd just draw plank siding- so much quicker.) My cities were always neat, orderly places with lush trees, charming window displays, and of course- plenty of bricks. Occasionally a pile of garbage would make an appearance, but I don't ever recall drawing ugly buildings, angry drivers, or aggressive transients. Not that I was terrible opposed to "normal" city life- I just didn't bother to include all the chaotic trappings.

Because I love little details, I greatly enjoy street photography. I'm not afraid to shoot strangers, provided they are a good distance away.
This might sound disturbing, but as far as I know, no one really cares.



Don't ask me why I like this. Certainly isn't the, er- message on the sign. I think it's funny because the guy obviously didn't notice me. Come to think of it, he didn't seem to notice anything. And I think he just might be whistling.


But you know what? There is one thing I really wished I would have included in those old drawings- buskers. That's right, the folks who position themselves on busy street corners and sing or play musical instruments. They are absolutely fascinating to me.
I saw the three men depicted above when I was in Seattle for a day this summer. I think they were singing gospel music- or something of the sort. I wasn't the only one enchanted, as you can see:
Every time I look at these I notice something new. New faces pop out of the crowd, mysteriously hinting that there is more to the story. There is more to the story, but pictures are only pictures- and I'm satisfied with collecting mere snapshots depicting ordinary things.
Back to the gospel singers.
Their feet tap the ground outside a busy Starbucks that is quite possible one of the very first. They have pleasant voices that blend together in a lovely way.
Moving down the street I see these street musicians. The banjo player has a scruffy white beard and is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and tattered overalls.

His band is less polished than the black gospel trio- but enjoyable nonetheless.




P.S. Thanks to my sweet blogging friend Sarah from Sarah Elizabeth Photography who awarded me recently! I'll be filling out her tag in the next few days. Yes, I know I'm rather tardy- you know how it goes..... I'm figuring cramming more into this particular post would be sheer madness;)

No comments: