Friday, April 16, 2010

Of Tyrants and Tea Parties


"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-George Washington
Photobucket
During the past week or so, I've had mixed feelings about the tax day "Tea Parties." Excitement, because I love the feeling of protesting unjust government. Discouragement because I live in a very liberal area of the country. And maybe a bit of disdain, because to be honest I really don't like Sarah Palin or McCain or Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly- a few big names commonly attached to the tax day protests.
Photobucket
After a late-afternoon piano lesson on Thursday, my family and I went downtown to join the crowd that had congregated in the area in front of the old courthouse. Normally this area is the sanctum of hula-hooping hippies (no, I'm not kidding) and former beatnik bums who play the "drums of peace" for an appreciative audience every Saturday.
Photobucket
On this particular night, however- we listened to congressional candidate Art Robinson give a speech.
Photobucket
Robinson is currently president and research professor at Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine and is decidedly pro-life. I know my readers are spread far and wide, but if you live in this area I would highly recommend checking out his website and voting for him in the next election.
Photobucket
(And yeah...I did just endorse somebody on here. I told you this was a random blog!)
Photobucket
I could photograph these faces all day without becoming bored. Intense expressions everywhere.
Photobucket
Photobucket
"Mr. Gorbachev...tear down that wall!"
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketWhat do you think of the Tea Parties?

3 comments:

Meg said...

Well my dear, it's hard to give an honest opinion since I really don't know. They appear to have many admirable qualities, but over here in Germany I have a hard time wrapping my head around what's going on in the U.S. Neat pictures. I think I would like to go to one of their Tea Parties, to see what it would be like and hear their own thoughts.
~Meg

T in Mapleton said...

I was encouraged by the number of people that attended, because, as you noted, this is a liberal area, not known for protesting too much government intrusion into our lives. Go Art Robinson!

mikaela Jaquette said...

this pictures are REALLY nice! lots of different signs.... wow.